Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Spice for everything!

I got the idea from Rachel Ray to make a combo of spices several years ago, and I've been doing it ever since!  I'm not sure her recipe, but I'm sure you can find it on her site.  Her measurements will be better of course. ;-)





Random spice bottle -- If it's a common spice you use, be sure to remove the label so you don't get them mixed up, or just write mix on top of the cap if it's not black.


You pick the spices!


I use:
For the base:
Lawreys Seasoning salt


Additions
My must haves:
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayenne pepper


Depending on my mood that day, I might throw in:
Tony Chacharies (sp?)
Montreal Steak Seasoning
New Orleans Style seasoning
Paprika (I just like the color :-P)
Red Pepper flakes (just make sure the holes for pouring are big enough)
Beef Bouillon granules


I always pour the seasoning salt in the bottle about half way.  Then about a quarter of the way up, I pour the garlic, then the same for the onion.  I don't do nearly as much on the cayenne because my husband isn't too fond of spicy food.  Whatever room I have left, I typically throw in some Tony Chacharies, Montreal, and paprika to top it off.  Sometimes I'll try something a little different but really haven't noticed big differences.


Once I top it off, I pour it all into a measuring cup and mix it up.  Then I funnel it back into the bottle.  Now don't get all frazzled about this funneling business!  I just make one out of a sheet of paper because it's dry product and funnels drive me crazy when they clog up with dry product.  So anyway, moving on... Don't worry if it won't all fit.  Just put the cap on and shake it up.  It'll make the spices settle lower.


Done and done!


I use this stuff like crazy.  It goes into just about everything we eat.  I use it to season the flour when frying chicken, when I precook all my beef (that's another post you should read ;-) ), on veggies -- It's wonderful for stir fry but I usually beef up the pepper content with that, it's amazing to throw on fries straight out of the fryer,  and I've even used it when cooking rice in the slow cooker!  I would imagine 4 out of 5 meals I make have this seasoning.  Once you find what you like best, I'm sure you will use it just as much!









No comments:

Post a Comment