Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Jambalaya/gumbo


I was amazed with even myself on this one.  It was super simple, could easily serve 5 or more, and cost about $6.  Yep, $6.  But there are some additions I would make that would definitely bring up the cost. I just didn't have the extras (yes I will tell) so it was only about $6.


Anyway, to the point...


You will need:
Smoked Sausage sliced to preferred size (14 oz pkg, some brands differ, it really doesn't matter)
Family Size Zataran's Jambalaya mix
4 tbls vegetable oil
1 bag frozen corn
1 bag frozen spinach
8 cups of water (more if you would like it a bit soupier)
3 tbls New Orleans style seasoning


Mix all the ingredients in a big pot, bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer.  Cook 25 minutes.  Serve.  Yep, that was it.  And it was awesome!


Now if I had the ingredients on hand, I would have absolutely added some crawfish (or shrimp if you prefer) and okra.  


As for the seasoning, I found this stuff at Dollar Tree. I'm not sure what I'll do when I run out because I've never seen anything like it anywhere else.  But then again, I've never really looked so it may be easier to find than I think.  to explain the flavor, I think you would had to have had crawfish at some point.  The taste reminds me of the flavor of the crawfish I've had around here. The ingredient list is as follows, and in proper order: salt, paprika, sugar, spices, onion, garlic, soy grits, and silicon dioxide.  I really hope you can find it or something like it.  I really love the stuff!



No comments:

Post a Comment