Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Simple Bacon Quiche





6 Eggs lightly beaten
2-3 Handfuls of shredded cheese (Your preference, I used colby jack and cheddar)
1 Sheet pepperidge farm puff pastry
1 Pound Bacon


Fully cook bacon and crumble to your liking.  I chopped mine in the food processor because obviously it's easier.  Mix together with egg and cheese. Add salt and pepper if desired.


Roll out puff pastry on floured surface.   Place in greased 9"x 9" dish/pan letting excess hangover sides.  Place all of mixture in dish, and pull excess dough over filling till fully covered


Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Allow to stand for 10 minutes to allow settling before serving.


I will say that even though there's not much to do, it does take some time.  Some things to help ease some of that pain would be to buy precooked bacon.  Obviously a bit more expensive, but if you like your time, by all means, this is a good way to go.  Also, you can get the pre-done pie crust, however you lose the flakiness of the puff pastry and of course it's no longer fully enclosed.  I could be wrong, but I believe that a quiche isn't supposed to be fully enclosed so that way may be a bit more true to quiche anyway.  But if you haven't learned yet, I kind of make things the way I like them.  And, well, I like dough.  PLEASE keep in mind that if you don't fully enclose it, you may need to change the cook times.  Just look for browning of the top and make sure it's cooked all the way through.


Don't be afraid to make any meat or cheese substitutions you'd like or any additions for that matter. I did this recipe based on what I had on hand.  Most quiche recipes have variations of juice, cream, herbs, and vegetables.  Mine is a very simple version so don't be afraid to add what you like.  If you use other liquids, be sure to research other recipes to give you an idea of how much to use.  Too much can cause your quiche to be a mushy mess and won't settle properly.  I've attached just such a recipe for your reference if needed.


If you notice I stole their picture.  :-)  For once, mine turned out very pretty, but that was before I was doing the blog and I never saw much point in documenting my food.  Looking back I totally should've because my food rocks!  But now I know.


Oh, and before I forget, this fed four adults and two children.


Original Recipe:  http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Bacon-Quiche-2


Happy Cooking!





No comments:

Post a Comment